This fermented probiotic beverage is the perfect match for HOLOS muesli— it’s a vegan and dairy-free breakfast, dense with nutrients, and the perfect way to start your day. Coconut pineapple sorbet and muesli in the morning, anyone? 🤤
PART ONE: Making the fermented coconut milk kefir
Total time: 24h-48h
- 1/4 cup Happy Gut water kefir grains
- 950ml can coconut milk
- Mix the Happy Gut Water Kefir Grains with the coconut milk in a brewing jar.
- Close the lid and leave it in a warm place (20-30°C) for 24-48 hours. When it’s ready the liquid will look foamy, as it will have fermented.
PART TWO: Prepping your overnight HOLOS muesli
Total time: 30 min + overnight
- Fermented coconut milk kefir (made in part one)
- 1 pouch of Vanilla HOLOS muesli
- Place the jar from part 1 into very warm water for about a half-hour. Keep the lid on but not sealed. The coconut milk will become runny. Do not get water inside the jar.
- Strain out the water kefir grains using a nylon strainer and put the remaining liquid (fermented coconut milk kefir) in a clean storage jar with a lid. Leave aside. Store the water kefir grains.
- Pour 1 pouch of Vanilla HOLOS into the signature HOLOS jar.
- Add the fermented coconut milk kefir to the fill line indicated on the HOLOS jar (approx. 200ml). Place unused fermented coconut milk kefir in the fridge (you will use it in part three).
- Seal the HOLOS jar and shake the ingredients.
- Put the HOLOS in the fridge and leave to soak overnight.
PART THREE: Breakfast Prep.
Total time: 10 min
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- 60ml of fermented coconut milk kefir (unused from part two)
- ½ banana
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- ½ cup fresh or frozen pineapple (thaw if frozen)
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- To make the puree, place the pineapple, unused fermented coconut milk kefir, banana, and shredded coconut in a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Layer the puree on top of the HOLOS or mix into the mixture.
- Top with the pineapple chunks and shredded coconut.
Hello, summer in a jar! This recipe is seriously delicious and packed full of nutrients, but you don’t need to take our word for it. Order your next round of HOLOS here, and visit our shop to get your water kefir starter kit.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT FERMENTED PLANT-BASED MILK
Although water kefir and milk kefir are different grain cultures, both ferment and produce probiotic foods. Water kefir grains respond only to plant-based milk, while milk kefir grains respond only to dairy milk. Water kefir is the perfect alternative for vegans who want the health benefits from kefir without dairy products.
Depending on the brand of plant-based milk such as almond, coconut or oat milk, you can expect the ferment to be a little thicker, and it will remain more emulsified due to the presence of binding and thickening agents in the milk. This will yield something more similar to a dairy kefir or sipping yogurt. If the plant-based milk brand does not contain any binding and thickening agents (or you make your own), you may experience some separation during the ferment. Simply give your fermented milk a little shake to emulsify, and enjoy!
This recipe contains an exceptionally high concentration of living organisms that contribute to a healthy gut flora. It provides over 4 trillion active bacteria and over 40 probiotic strains plus good fats.