Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies with Sourdough Starter
Use the natural leavening power of a sourdough starter in this classic, soft ginger sourdough cookie recipe. Rolling them in sugar before baking adds a magical sparkle that will be sure to catch Santa’s eye.
- 1/2 cup sourdough starter (recently fed)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp, baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Set aside: 3 tablespoons sugar for rolling cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- In a medium bowl sift together the all the dry ingredients & set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the brown sugar and butter. Then add the egg, molasses and sourdough starter.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, bit by bit. An electric mixer is easiest with this sticky dough.
- Scoop dough using a spoon, about 1 tbsp in size. Roll in your hands to make a small ball.
- Dip the balls into the reserved sugar, and roll so the dough ball is covered in sugar.
- On a greased cookie sheet, place balls about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until gingersnap cookies are cracked as they spread and set.
- Remove from oven and place cookies on cooling rack.
- Try not to eat them all at once! 😉