Robust blackstrap molasses, rich spices and the zing of ginger create the comforting flavours of a classic holiday treat in this Gingerbread Water Kefir Soda recipe.
MAKES: about 4 cups
4 cups first ferment
1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses added to first ferment
1/4 tsp cinnamon or a cinnamon stick
3 Cardamom pods
5 pieces candied ginger or 3 slices fresh ginger
- Make the first ferment and add 1/4 tsp molasses to it. Leave the jar in a warm place for 24-48 hours.
- Add all the ingredients to a clean and sanitized swivel top bottle.
- Strain the grains, and add the first ferment to the bottle. Seal the lid, and gently shake upside down to ensure all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Leave it in a warm place for 24 hours for the second ferment.
- Burp every 8 hours to ensure there is no overflow.
- Open slowly, strain and enjoy!
NEED TO KNOW:
The vitamins and minerals in blackstrap molasses are great for your grains, but you can easily over feed them and make them disintegrate. Use sparingly.