Mint shows up a lot in our daily lives, with over 500 varieties of the herb, we are quite familiar with its refreshing presence in food and drinks, but did you know it is also is one of the best home remedies to have on hand?
A Deeper Dive
Mint is popular not only for its cool and refreshing taste, but also:
- Its stomach-soothing properties because of the presence of menthol, which helps relax tense and inflamed muscles in the digestive tract;
- Helps speed up digestion, which can lessen the effects of indigestion for some people, check out our Icy Mint Water Kefir Soda recipe for how to infuse it into water kefir;
- It also helps clear up congestion from colds;
- The menthol from the peppermint essential oil can instantly open up blocked sinuses, and help with head aches.
- For treating sore muscles, peppermint oil is usually found in topical compounds like arnica rubs to ease tension in the body;
- It cools, has analgesic, antispasmodic, and anti-inflammatory properties; and
- Mint can also help us with mental clarity by it’s invigorating scent. Using peppermint oil in a diffuser can help with alertness, boost brain function and even help enhance memory.
It’s no wonder that mint, a garden staple herb is so popular. From uses in cooking, desserts and drinks to helping with digestion, pain and brain function, this easy-to-grow herb is always a good choice to have on hand.