Beat the heat with this delicious thirst quenching icy mint water kefir soda all while benefiting from its health properties.
Icy Mint Water Kefir Soda Recipe
MAKES: About 4 cups
- 4 cups first ferment water kefir
- 1/4 cup loose leaf mint tea or fresh leaves (see the “Need to Know” Section for the instructions on using fresh leaves)
- 1/2 cup boiled water
- Make the first ferment and leave the jar in a warm place for 24-48 hours
- Steep tea in 1/2 cup of boiled water and allow to cool until room temperature
- Strain grains, and add first ferment water kefir
- Strain tea from cooled water, and pour into a swivel top bottle
- Then pour in first ferment water kefir
- Seal up the swivel top bottle and leave it in a warm place for 24 hours for the second ferment.
- Refrigerate until well chilled.
- Open slowly, strain and enjoy!
Need to Know
To use fresh mint for this recipe all you have to do is:
- Rip up a half cup of mint leaves first
- In a glass measuring cup, muddle the mint in a splash of first ferment
- Pour contents into the swivel top bottle and continue as usual.
While this might seem like a kombucha recipe because of the use of tea, it differs because it is not caffeinated black tea, and doesn’t use white sugar. Water kefir also ferments much more quickly than kombucha, and doesn’t have the same sour tang.
Once your icy mint water kefir soda is ready find yourself a comfortable place to sit down with your favourite book and cool off with this refreshing, sparkling take on a classic porch sipper!