Fermented foods and beverages have in recent years been rediscovered. Due in large part to modern research on the importance of gut health they are the darlings of today’s food and beverage scene. There is one ferment in our humble opinion, that has been flying under the radar until recently . . . water kefir!
What is Water Kefir?
A fizzy fermented, functional beverage (say that 3 times quickly), brimming with probiotics and vitamins because of the good yeast and bacteria it is made from. Water Kefir is also known as tibicos or cultures, and like other fermented foods and beverages, it has been around for centuries.
The grains have withstood the test of time and are extremely resilient; they can be frozen and even freeze-dried. In addition, they can be regenerated, making them one of the superheroes of the fermentation world and when you feed them sugar in water these little superheroes produce a powerhouse probiotic beverage.
Why is Water Kefir So Amazing?
Aside from the durability and resilience of the grains here are our top 4 reasons to love water kefir:
- The grains will grow and multiply with each batch brewed! What to do with your excess grains?
- Share them with your family and friends
- Add them to smoothies for an extra probiotic punch; or
- Feed them to your animals to boost their gut health
- You can make your own water kefir in 48 hours – a very fast and short fermentation cycle;
- Incorporate it into many other recipes – check out ours here; and
- You can put your grains into dormancy for up to 3 months so you can stop and start at any time that suits you.
Generally, water kefir aids in boosting gut health, energy, and overall immunity. Specifically, water kefir is a fermented low sugar functional beverage that is also:
- All natural
- Plant based
- Contains 30 probiotic strains
- Concentrated with B vitamins; and
- Full of magnesium, folate, vitamin k, electrolytes, and enzymes
Ready to get started, find the Happy Gut Method to making water kefir at home below and shop our kits and grains. We believe that food is medicine and that functional beverages are the key to a healthy microbiome and life.
Happy Gut Method – First Ferment
Watch our Youtube video and learn how to make the first ferment and within 24 hours you will have a functional beverage that has a mild, slightly sweet flavour, with just a hint of fermentation. It is neutral enough for even the pickiest of palates, and readily supports any flavours you want to add. The first ferment can be consumed as is or added to your smoothie for a probiotic boost.
Happy Gut Method – Second Ferment
Learn how to make the second ferment on our YouTube channel here. The second ferment, left for an additional 24 hours, will make a naturally carbonated beverage with all of the benefits of the first ferment. The effervescence is refreshing and a welcome substitute to sugar-laden pop and other flavoured waters, hence why we call it “Soda with Benefits”.
- Our grains react with metal. Please so ensure that you use a nylon strainer, plastic funnel, and a wooden spoon to prevent the grains from being damaged. These are all provided when you purchase one of our kits.
- Water kefir can be explosive if you leave it out in the warmth too long during the second fermentation process. Always refrigerate immediately after you have reached the perfect flavour and effervescence. Burp your bottles periodically to reduce the built up pressure.