Cherry Almond Water Kefir Soda Recipe
A match made in flavour heaven, this beautiful rose coloured soda is a great way to use juicy summer cherries.
MAKES: about 4 cups
4 cups first ferment water kefir
1/2 cup pitted and diced cherries
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
• Make the first ferment and leave the jar in a warm place for 24-48 hours.
• pit and dice cherries, and place into the swivel top bottle
• add almond extract into the bottle
• strain grains, and add first ferment water kefir
• Seal up the swivel top bottle and leave it in a warm place for 24 hours for the second ferment.
• Open slowly, strain and enjoy!
NEED TO KNOW:
If you are buying cherries, make sure they are organic or at least well rinsed once you get home. Berries are usually sprayed with pesticides, which should be avoided.
This drink will develop it’s beautiful colour as it ferments. At first, the liquid will be clear.
Almond extract is strong. Use sparingly to avoid too much almond flavour overpowering the drink.
Burp the bottle after 12 hours to avoid the possibility of over carbonation.
Cherry skins have a lot of yeast on them and can turn your ferment to alcohol very quickly. Try to leave your second ferment just until you are beginning to get fizz. The longer a cherry ferment sits on the counter, the stronger the alcohol content becomes.
This soda will give your body a big boost of vitamin C, probiotics, magnesium, B vitamins, folate, vitamin K, electrolytes and enzymes.
Check out our other Cherry recipes