Ginger Beer Water Kefir
This non alcoholic ginger beer is made the old fashioned way with grated ginger root and natural fermentation. It’s a refreshing summer drink over ice, an excellent remedy for indigestion or nausea and full of water kefir probiotics.
GINGER BEER WATER KEFIR RECIPE
MAKES: about 4 cups
ginger simple syrup
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 cups first ferment
1/4 cup cane sugar
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup water
for the simple syrup:
• In a small saucepan, add all ingredients over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
• Let the mixture reach a simmer, then turn heat to low and put the lid on. Let infuse for 10 minutes.
in the swivel top bottle:
• After 10 minutes, strain the simple syrup through a funnel into your swivel top jar. It will have reduced a bit, and that’s fine.
• Make the first ferment and leave the jar in a warm place for 24-48 hours.
• Add lemon juice, and 2 cups of first ferment.
• Seal the bottle, and gently shake the liquid inside to mix thoroughly.
• Open the lid and add the rest of the first ferment. Allow 24 hours for the second ferment.
• Open slowly, strain and enjoy!
NEED TO KNOW:
This is not an alcoholic beer beverage.
Traditional ginger beer is made with yeast or a ginger bug. In this version, the fermentation is caused by water kefir.
Active fermentation can make the bottle explosive. Burp the seal at least once a day and open slowly over your kitchen sink.
This ginger beer is a good remedy for nausea from indigestion and motion sickness. It can also sooth cough and sore throats.
Ginger root holds an active compound called gingerol, a natural oil which is a rich source of minerals such as magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper, and vitamin B6
This soda will give your body a big boost of vitamin C, probiotics, magnesium, B vitamins, folate, vitamin K, electrolytes and enzymes.