This non alcoholic ginger beer is made the old fashioned way with grated ginger root and natural fermentation. It’s a refreshing summer drink over ice, an excellent remedy for indigestion or nausea and full of water kefir probiotics.
GINGER BEER WATER KEFIR RECIPE
MAKES: about 4 cups
ginger simple syrup
3 tbsp lemon juice
4 cups first ferment
1/4 cup cane sugar
5 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup water
For the simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Let the mixture reach a simmer, then turn heat to low and put the lid on. Let infuse for 10 minutes.
In the swivel top bottle:
- After 10 minutes, strain the simple syrup through a funnel into your swivel top jar. It will have reduced a bit, and that’s fine.
- Make the first ferment and leave the jar in a warm place for 24-48 hours.
- Add lemon juice, and 2 cups of first ferment.
- Seal the bottle, and gently shake the liquid inside to mix thoroughly.
- Open the lid and add the rest of the first ferment. Allow 24 hours for the second ferment.
- Open slowly, strain and enjoy!
NEED TO KNOW:
This is not an alcoholic beer beverage.
Traditional ginger beer is made with yeast or a ginger bug. In this version, the fermentation is caused by water kefir.
Active fermentation can make the bottle explosive. Burp the seal at least once a day and open slowly over your kitchen sink.
This ginger beer is a good remedy for nausea from indigestion and motion sickness. It can also sooth cough and sore throats.
If you’re a big-time ginger lover, add the grated ginger that you used to make the simple syrup, back into your second ferment bottle. It’ll continue to add flavour.
Ginger root holds an active compound called gingerol, a natural oil which is a rich source of minerals such as magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper, and vitamin B6
This soda will give your body a big boost of vitamin C, probiotics, magnesium, B vitamins, folate, vitamin K, electrolytes and enzymes.